Sunday 7 October 2012

The Loft Market - a SUPER store!

When you venture away from the commercial craziness of Grafton Street in Dublin, you enter a striking parallel universe of creativity. Wicklow Street, South William Street, Exchequer Street, Clarendon Street... and that's just one side! And as for Powerscourt Centre, well that's where the cool/quirky/diverse scales explode completely! I'm talking about The Loft Market, the collective space for designers and varied vintage gems. I can't believe I had never heard of this place before (although I have only just moved here full-time) but I was hooked. It's great to see new talent supported- especially local artists and designers.

The brilliant Aisling Farinella, Fashion Editor of Thread Magazine set this place up in 2006. Kate Nolan is now Creative Director. The way the store is laid out is really attractive and bright with sections for designers and vintage brands/companies.
The Loft Market has a lovely calmness, you can browse away for as long as you like (essential when vintage is concerned, you can't feel pressured or hurried) and the staff are really warm and friendly. And when I say vintage, I mean vintage. The V word can be thrown around a lot these days on eBay and the likes as a label to anything remotely old looking. The pieces here are certainly genuine with character and beauty in abundance. It's definitely a place I'll go back to again, and I'd recommend the wide range of accessories as a must-see if you're trying to find a gift that's a little bit different and suitable for any age or style.

 I bought a lovely little mini handbag/purse in black leather and it came from Lark Vintage. It's perfect for nights out as it encourages minimalism- there's enough space for my house key, cards, cash and lipstick. Good enough for me!


My lovely bag! 

No comments:

Post a Comment